Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2007, 11:29 PM

Default NL $10 - A/Ko facing river raise.

So, in an effort to learn how to play more than two tables at a time, I've dropped down a few levels until I feel more comfortable multitabling.

Anyway, it was the first time I was playing four tables at the same time when this hand came up.

I had no reads on villain.

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.02/$0.05 Blinds - 8 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $1.76
BB: $12.54
UTG: $2.98
Hero (UTG+1): $18.78
MP1: $9.73
MP2: $6.75
CO: $5.00
BTN: $5.57

Preflop: Hero is dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (8 Players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.15</font>, MP1 calls $0.15, 5 folds

Flop: ($0.37) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $0.20</font>, MP1 calls $0.20

Turn: ($0.77) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $0.75</font>, MP1 calls $0.75

River: ($2.27) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $2.00</font>, <font color="red">MP1 raises to $5.00</font>, Hero...?
Old 09-24-2007, 12:02 AM

Default Re: NL $10 - A/Ko facing river raise.

You're almost never ahead of 2.5x river raises at any level with TPTK. You probably know this.

Then again, it is 5NL (200 bb fine but still 5nl). So I'd call and expect to see something stupid.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:05 AM

I think at NL5 it's almost impossible to know anything about villains range here based on action. You see so much stupid moves and this could be anything from slowplayed kings to A2o. I'm pretty sure youre way behind but it's almost a minraise so I would call just to get a change to flood the chat with my big mouth comments about how stupid the villain is with his 83o.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:24 AM

So, everyone thinks I have to call this even though I'm almost certain to be behind?
Old 09-24-2007, 03:36 AM

Fold.

I cant remember a villain ever calling off 2 streets then raising the river with less than TPTK when there are no missed draws out there. Though admitably ive never played lower than NL50.

Invest in Pokertracker and download the freeware HUD GameTime+ for reads if you dont have it already.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:47 AM

If cb'ing just about every flop that you raised pre- is a big part of your game, then you should probably check a lot of turns for pot control.

If you had checked the turn, then the river bet would be smaller, as would the raise - which you could call more easily.

I can't see that the 3 on the river helped him unless he was calling you down with A3s. So, what does he have? What does he think you have?

I think he called the flop cb with at least top pair, AT-AK or better.

I think he called to turn bet with AJ-AK or better.

But at this limit I might be giving him too much credit. Perhaps he's a calling station. Or maybe he's slow playing a monster. It's hard to tell OOP without a read.

So, I think you should have check/called the river and hoped to see AQ/AK rather than AJ or better.

Would he raise at the river with just AQ knowing that you are representing at least AJ-AK on every street? If doubt it. I think his river raise has you beaten and you can fold.

But I also think c/c on this particular river after your bets on the flop and turn got called would have been better than b/f.

If it was me, I'd probably call his river raise out of curiosity if I played with the guy regularly. Then I'd make a note like, "Calls down with TPnoK, but river raise was lucky 2-pair," or "Slow plays sets until the river when I fire 3-barrels with TPTK OOP," or whatever.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:08 AM

c/c river to prevent this kind of awkward situation in the future. as played i would also be calling the raise out of curiosity and note what he has.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:21 AM

The river is an absolute brick. There is no reason to check call and you lose tonnes of value from AT/AQ type hands that will call your river bet more often than bet it themselves if you check.

OOP with top top im showing strength every street if i have no reads on villain. If youre behind he will let you know sooner or later. This time round he chose the river to do so.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If cb'ing just about every flop that you raised pre- is a big part of your game, then you should probably check a lot of turns for pot control.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I do c-bet just about every flop I raise. It's part of the reason why I thought he might have called the flop bet even though I had never played with him before. Then again, I might be giving him too much credit.

Once he called my turn bet, I put him on an A9-AK. The stakes are so small that sometimes I don't give people that much credit. I never put him on a set. Maybe I should have thought about that.

[ QUOTE ]
If you had checked the turn, then the river bet would be smaller, as would the raise - which you could call more easily.

I can't see that the 3 on the river helped him unless he was calling you down with A3s. So, what does he have? What does he think you have?

I think he called the flop cb with at least top pair, AT-AK or better.

I think he called to turn bet with AJ-AK or better.

But at this limit I might be giving him too much credit. Perhaps he's a calling station. Or maybe he's slow playing a monster. It's hard to tell OOP without a read.

So, I think you should have check/called the river and hoped to see AQ/AK rather than AJ or better.

Would he raise at the river with just AQ knowing that you are representing at least AJ-AK on every street? If doubt it. I think his river raise has you beaten and you can fold.

But I also think c/c on this particular river after your bets on the flop and turn got called would have been better than b/f.

If it was me, I'd probably call his river raise out of curiosity if I played with the guy regularly. Then I'd make a note like, "Calls down with TPnoK, but river raise was lucky 2-pair," or "Slow plays sets until the river when I fire 3-barrels with TPTK OOP," or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Invest in Pokertracker and download the freeware HUD GameTime+ for reads if you dont have it already.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I have pokertracker and HUD but I've never played with this guy before so I had nothing on him.

I called for one horrible reason and one viable one, or, at least, I'd like to think it was viable.

1) Because it's really small stakes and probably won't be playing it much once I get the hang of playing more than two tables at a time. (bad reason).

2) Because I wanted to see if he had what I put him on once he raised me on the river, which was A/J. I was right. (viable reason).

Thanks a lot, everyone.