Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2007, 05:30 PM

Default 9 man SNG bubble play vs shortstack

Ive been playing 6$ turbo SNGs on FT lately and been doing pretty good, ITM probably 70% out of like 15ish games (i think 2 1st place wins, 1 2nd, mostly 3rd place). I often find myself in a situation right on the bubble where i am 2nd or 3rd stack, and im vs a shortstack player who i know can push at any moment and im not sure if im just wasting chips or if i should look him up or what, heres an example.

I dont have an exact hand to post but for instance say these are the stacks left

guy1 6200
guy2 1400
guy3 3900
hero 4000

so lets say im in the BB 200/400 blinds, everyone folds to the SB shortstack, he calls 200. now im sitting there looking at KQs on the BB. if i raise at all im basicly putting him all in or he would just come over the top anyway. so do i gamble with a hand like this when he could easily have A9o or something and just beat me high card?

so last time this happened i checked, flop came Q 8 A, so now i have mid pair, he raises all in for another 1k, almost even money for me to call, how could i call this? waste another 1k chips and then im down to being the 2nd lowest if not the lowest stack if i lose. and i feel like folding im just letting myself be outplayed, i did fold here last time which i think is the right move. but in situations like this is that proper, should i even let it get to the check and put him all in preflop? i just hate to be on the bubble and become short stack from a dumb all in call and be sitting there wishing i just folded and only lost 400 chips
Old 06-04-2007, 06:06 PM

Default Re: 9 man SNG bubble play vs shortstack

Just push it pf. Now that you checked the bb and he pushes, easy call on that flop.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:22 PM

Default Re: 9 man SNG bubble play vs shortstack

I had to respond to this just because of Evil Druid... Nebraska?

KQ is way too strong to not reshove preflop. If he shoved into you you would also want to call.

Although from your diagram there's no way the shortstack could be in SB when you're in BB. But I'll assume you mean he is.

If you really want to get serious about this, you should read the FAQ and work through some ICM examples in there, to really get a mathematical feel for some of the ideas you're discussing. It will open your eyes to a lot of stuff. GL!