Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-23-2007, 09:18 AM

Default Anytime there is money in the pot should you shove for 50/50?

say midstages of $10 freezeout MT.

blinds 100/200

Hero- 4500
SB and BB both have similar stacks.

Hero attempts to steal (raise to 600) from CO with J9 clubs.

Button folds but both blinds call...pot= 1800.

Flop: Qc 8h 6c

SB leads for pot, BB folds. For this example you can see villains cards and he has either: AQ or KQ.

So you're equity in the pot is a hair below 50%, (51.5%/48.5%) a little more if he has either the Ac or Kc. Obvs you have 0 fold equity but this is a must shove correct? Given the 3600 in the pot already, correct?

This is a pretty easy example but I feel I am presently reevaluating a lot of spots where in the past I have typically autofolded but given the money in pot + my equity, I probably should have called.

Obviously your pot equity is based on villains likely range of hands under the circumstances and thus you should err on the more conservative side of estimating what your likely equity really is. Anyway, this realization (as elementary as it may be) is likely going to turn me into a suckout monster until im able to better discern which spots are appropriate for getting all in with the likely worst of it.

Actually this is so basic im almost embarrassed to post it but whatever, maybe it will help crystalize an important concept for the new guys on this forum.