Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2007, 05:25 PM

Default Suited overcards with a flush draw - Flop is paired. Played correctly?

I have some ideas about how I think I might have played the hand differently in certain spots, but I would be interested in hearing from others.

What should I be thinking as this hand is progressing?

Also, the SB is a LAP (Loose-Aggressive, Passive), showing down some very poor starting hands. I have no read on UTG.

Thanks.

PokerStars 0.02/0.04 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (12.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

River: (21.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero ???.

I am imagining this is a $2/$4 table live, and I actually see some similarity between .02/.04 on Poker Stars and what I have seen at a number of tables at B&amp;M card rooms...

For me, I'm experimenting and it is a good way to inexpensively practice...
Old 05-06-2007, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Suited overcards with a flush draw - Flop is paired. Played correc

dont cap the flop. in fact, don't raise the flop. A paired board means play your flush draw carefully. fold the turn as this is spew and SB has enough of a hand to justify a bet. fold the river. We have K high here.

thank you for posting in the correct forum and welcome.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:14 PM

To nerdking,

On the turn you mentioned "spew", what is that? I didn't understand why you recommended folding the turn to SB's bet...

Thanks for your response...
Old 05-06-2007, 06:20 PM

I raise this flop once. No reason yet to believe someone has 22 and any pp has 4 outs to a FH. I'm willing to take that risk if in return we get $39867349 into the pot. After the 3bet slow down. You don't have an equity edge anymore.
c/call turn, fold river. What else? You're closing the action on the turn, so folding there would be bad. Why does there have to be a FH? Trips, OPs, whatever are quite possible.
You have k-high on the river, so why would you consider doing anything but fold?
Even if your flush came, it'd be just a call.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fold the turn as this is spew and SB has enough of a hand to justify a bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Horrible.

Yes, if SB has 22 or 88, we're dead, but he has an overpair or trips 90+% of the time. (I'm not fearing 83 or 32.) Against trips we have 7 outs and we're getting double-digits to one: that's an easy, easy peel. Even if we didn't cap the flop, that's an easy peel.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:37 PM

raising the flop once is fine. putting more bets in on the flop is not great. raising the turn is pretty bad. on the river it's an easy fold.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dont cap the flop. in fact, don't raise the flop. A paired board means play your flush draw carefully. fold the turn as this is spew and SB has enough of a hand to justify a bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very weak tight advice.

The flop raise is fine, almost standard. Anyone telling you not to is being result oriented because SB 3-bet. Cap isn't as horrible as everyone is making it out to be either, it's not great considering our equity, but it's not a big mistake.

Turn is kinda terrible, just call.

River is a fold, K-high wins this pot never.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:46 PM

i like just calling the flop. SB leading into the world is strong. if you turn a K or Q just call down. if you turn a flush, then raise.

the turn is the worst play i've seen in a while, and asking a question about what to do on the river is the worst question i've seen asked in a while.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:48 PM

Default Re: Suited overcards with a flush draw - Flop is paired. Played correctly?

[ QUOTE ]
What should I be thinking as this hand is progressing?

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green">if you want direction in your thought process, perhaps you should include the reason for you actions</font>

PF: standard

Flop: SB donks into you with four players in between, generally I would think this is a pretty powerfull hand.
I don't see any reason to raise the flop (SB's donk bet is pretty strong so the chance you will be getting a free card is unlikely)
that you did is not big deal though (but after SB bets/3bets the flop and only one of the guy inbetween calls capping is only costing you money ... check how many bets you will be winning if you hit vs the bets you a putting in ... then factor in the times you'll hit a lose)

TURN:
this is pretty much horrible ... the end ... maybe you should state why you would do this

RIVER:
WTF ... overcalling with King high after SB bet/3bet flop, bet/3bet the turn, then bet the river - and UTG calling all the way
even having a question mark here is even worse than the turn raise (wow)
Old 05-06-2007, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i like just calling the flop. SB leading into the world is strong. if you turn a K or Q just call down. if you turn a flush, then raise.

the turn is the worst play i've seen in a while, and asking a question about what to do on the river is the worst question i've seen asked in a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't think it's as much strength as everyone does. I would put Overpairs in his range a good portion of the time. Even if he is betting a 3 or a made FH everytime we have enough equity to raise 4 opponents, but I can see the argument for just calling if you think ALL he is betting out here is a 3 or made FH.