Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 10:49 AM

Default Late in Tourney - AK with 2 all-ins

This is late in $10 + one rebuy and add-on. It took about 40 minutes to go from 65 players down to 63 and the money. After that, it seems to be an all-in fest. Someone is all-in on practically every hand. We drop to 42 players left in about 10 minutes.

I was moved to this table 4 hands before, so no solid reads except the table is aggressive like the one I just got bounced off of. With 42 left, I am about 24th with just under the average stack size. Button is chip leader. I am SB.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t4000 (8 handed)

internettexasholdem.com

UTG (t62605)
UTG+1 (t49761)
MP1 (t51918)
MP2 (t88134)
CO (t154312)
Button (t295800)
Hero (t62380)
BB (t83280)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t51518</font>,

<font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t87734</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>

The MP2 raise was very quick. My thinking was:
1) Getting 3:1
2) I am below the chip average
3) Have less than 20BB left
4) 3 way is not optimal, but worth the risk to make the final table with a decent chip stack.

Call or fold here? And why?
Old 07-12-2007, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Late in Tourney - AK with 2 all-ins

No takers?
Old 07-12-2007, 02:40 PM

Push it in, I think you're too low to fold AK here and you could really use the chips from a win here to make a run at the FT.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:01 PM

I think you have to call here but I wouldn't be thrilled about it.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:28 PM

Why wouldn't you be thrilled? You are pretty short and you get to see all 5 cards with AK - sure, I'd rather have AA, but this is close enough. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-12-2007, 03:31 PM

I would be quite thrilled as well, he said its an all in fest which means people are shoving with very marginal hands. He is most probably up against hands like AJ, AQ, AT, Ax, KQ, KJ, QJ, small pp's and some suited connectors. I call and almost expect to either have the best hand or be flipping for a nice sized stack.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:06 PM

Easy call. The initial pusher, with only just over 10 BBs (probably about 6 M with antes?), could be on a pretty wide range that you're way ahead of (almost any pocket pair, lots of aces, lots of two-broadway hands), and the overpusher still has a much wider range than just AA/KK (at this stake without a further read, 99+ and AT+ sounds about right, with a few random other hands thrown in). You're in very good shape against these ranges, much more than 33% equity, and you need chips now to make a decent deep run.

Yeah, you'll end up against aces sometimes, but you'll also end up against two hands you dominate sometimes.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:29 PM

Thanks. There were lots of critics at the table (aren't there always) who railed on me at the time - it was such a horrible call. I didn't think so under the circumstances.

Now if the cards are dealt face up, do you still make the same decision? Inital all-in raiser: QQ. 2nd all-in: AK.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now if the cards are dealt face up, do you still make the same decision? Inital all-in raiser: QQ. 2nd all-in: AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, of course not, easy fold then. Best case is a split and you know you've only got 4 outs instead of 6 (well, barring an oddball flush).
Old 07-12-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, of course not, easy fold then. Best case is a split and you know you've only got 4 outs instead of 6 (well, barring an oddball flush).

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. Which reminds me of my worst bad beat. I shove with TT, get 3 callers (everybody gets AI P/F); they all flip over AK! Flop is 10xx - yeay me! One of them hits runner-runner for the flush. Rigged I tell you. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]