Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 09:52 PM

Default check, 3-bet, check

Kinda boring hand, but I'm bored so I thought I'd spread it around.

Live 8-16, 1 walker so we're 8 handed. The table is playing an odd mix of loose-passive and tight-passive right now.

Reads: UTG seems reasonable, but she plays too many hands and goes a little to far with them. She can be pretty aggressive at times, but she isn't a maniac.

CO seems pretty clueless and seems to play pretty loose-passive most of the time, although his PF raising hands seem pretty standard.

PF: Hero is UTG+2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG limps, UTG+1 folds, Hero limps, folds to button, Button raises, we both call.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players, 6.5 SB)
UTG checks, hero checks, button bets, UTG raises, Hero 3-bets, button calls, UTG calls.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 players, 7.5 BB)
UTG checks, button looks confused but is clearly ready to call (and isn't acting) so hero checks, button checks and looks relieved.

River: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 players, 7.5 BB)
UTG bets, hero folds...

I thought about both betting the flop and raising the river, but I figured I didn't have much fold equity in either case - my flop 3-bet was mostly for value, although I figured that getting heads-up with UTG in position wouldn't be a bad thing either.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:56 PM

Default Re: check, 3-bet, check

standard...

nobody is folding to your bluff on river...
Old 06-18-2007, 10:30 PM

i wouldnt 3-bet in a passive game - you wont win the pot unless you get there with the aggression - his look means we are getting to showdown and a good portion of the time the turn is bumped... best results in my opinion, especially since your 3-ball didnt kick out dead money on the flop... were you trying to free up outs, we dont want it heads up here - passive doesnt usually corresponde with folding... perfect results aside from getting there imo
Old 06-19-2007, 09:14 AM

The 3 bet is for value. He has a gutshot, a fd, and an overcard/
Old 06-19-2007, 09:49 AM

if utg has kj or similar we are about 50-50, slightly ahead... the value comes from the 3rd player in because it doesnt reduce our equity unless it chops outs... i prefer keeping the A8 or whatever callable hand button can have... i dont mind being out of position because we need to get there in order to win the pot, but i dont ever want to face button with multiple bets in a passive game
Old 06-19-2007, 10:24 AM

Well, a) the button may very well call 2 more cold which increases our $$ equity, or if he folds, then we can take a free card on the turn. 3 betting is best.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:35 PM

All - thanks for the input. Does everyone like the limp pre-flop? The table wasn't too aggressive, but we weren't usually getting the type of large multi-way pots that this hand usually likes. I think it's a fold UTG, but is one semi-bad limper enough to turn this into a call?

The results were disappointing - button just called the river bet and UTG mucked immediately without waiting to see his hand. If my spidey-sense was working overtime, I probably could have won the hand with a river raise, but I know that's being extremely results-oriented.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:41 AM

definite call preflop.. i sometimes raise 1 loose limper w/ this hand...