Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2007, 01:45 PM

Default What is optimum strategy for extremely loose LIMIT tourneys?

I have been a very successful live, limit hold-em tournament player. But I am really struggling with on-line limit tourneys which are invariably super-loose, especially early. Indeed, there are usually 5-7 players seeing the flop, and 4-5 seeing the river. What is my optimal strategy? I have tried the following neither of which seem to work:

1. Limp often with many drawing hands given the insane pot odds that i'm given. The problem is what should I do with weak draws (e.g., middle or low pair, and a backdoor str8 or flush draw). I usually play these hands until my draw looks dead given the odds but often have to call a raise or two behind, and my chip stack gets killed when I run cold. Indeed, this strategy has lead to multiple early exits, even though I'm pretty sure I have had +Ev for most of my draws, because our starting chip stacks aren't big enough given the huge variance this strategy produces. I hate this because I almost always go very deep into limit tourneys when I play live.

2. Play like a super rock -- play only super premium hands, and raise only in position to try to limit the field. Problem is a raise, or re-raise does not seem to discourage callers behind, and I lose so many AA and KK to impossible to see 2 pairs. Also, if I run card cold, I get short-stacked quickly because the blinds increase very fast on-line.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:48 PM

Default Re: What is optimum strategy for extremely loose LIMIT tourneys?

Do whatever works best in super loose passive cash games.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:54 PM

Default Re: What is optimum strategy for extremely loose LIMIT tourneys?

I have a reasonably good record in LHE MTTS online. What I find works best is to play my usual mix of hands preflop (about 16% outside the blinds), but NEVER enter the pot preflop without raising, defending my BB mush more often than in a cash game, and ramping up my postflop aggression.

In the first two levels, I tend to play a bit tighter than normal.

I find I either don't make it much past the first break or I go deep.