Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 08:23 AM

Default This is such a beginner question. NL Cash

I'll ask this just to highlight how new and inexperienced I am to HU play.

If I am in the BB and button raises and I flat call with a hand like A8s which is standard. On a flop of say 7x 8x 2x should I always be leading or CR on the basis that my hand is very likely best but vulnerable? What about a flop of Qx 8x 2x where my hand is still likely good but there is more of a chance villain has a hand. When you do check-raise do you auto-fire most turns to protect your hand which you assume is good until villain shows otherwise?

The thing I have tended to notice so far is that a lot of villains will auto fire the turn if you check/call flop and I end up giving up my marginal hand as it cannot take the heat. Also if I check-raise but dont fire the turn I also run into a lot of auto-bets, if not on the turn then the river when I would have checked twice.

Although a call of my check-raise may ring alarm bells I tend to find that the CR on the flop gets called very light (any pair/any draw/overcards etc) but the turn follow up does not. However this is an expensive way to play a marginal hand when I am behind.

How does the way you play hands like flopped middle pair change if you are playing a TAG v a fish?

I just need a better line as my current passive line of check-call flop check-fold turn when an over hits sucks horribly.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:08 AM

Default Re: This is such a beginner question. NL Cash

This is why you want to minimize the hands you play OOP.

You dont have to play 872 fast with A8. I usually CR, but sometimes I will just call. Sometimes lead turn if I suspect he may check behind. Sometimes I check turn with intention of calling the bet again (note that a CR inflates the pot quicker than a check/call).

There is no magic way to play OOP, even when you hit top pair. It's hard to get paid off, and it's hard to play for pot control without playing very passively.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:28 PM

The easy solution is to just c/c the turn again. You'll most likely still have the best hand, regardless of the card. You can't be afraid of overcards/scare cards nearly as much in HU as you should be in 6max/FR. In the example you gave, if the turn is a K/Q/J and villain bets again you have to call unless villain is very passive and doesn't double barrel ever. Then reevaluate the river card and decide what to do. I usually fold to a third barrel, especially if the turn and river were like K/J, but it's not a guarantee.

As for the flop play, leading is cool if you're calling a raise. I'm not a big fan of a c/r in this situation unless you're doing it for the same basic reason, or if you c/r a real wide range of hands on the flop.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:13 PM

Given that check/call, check/call kinda turns our hand face up I wonder if check/call flop and donk the turn might actually be better? I think once you have done that a check/fold on the river might be safer. Or even a flop lead if your opponent is not one that always raises flop leads.

AbrueTime, you are right that playing almost any hand OOP sucks hard. I think one of the main problems is the amount of bad players who just min-raise pre. You are getting such a sick price that you tend to play anything half reasonable.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given that check/call, check/call kinda turns our hand face up I wonder if check/call flop and donk the turn might actually be better?

[/ QUOTE ]
Turn leads are more transparent, imo. You cannot handle a raise, in most cases. It also saves your opponent a 2nd barrell if he's behind, while costing you the same money when he's ahead. Turning your hand faceup is bad if it can be easily exploited. Check calling top pair is not optimal, but sometimes it's the most +EV against some opponents.

If your opponent never double barrels, then I like a turn lead (so he doesnt take a free card, and this type of opponent will never bluff raise).
Old 09-19-2007, 01:52 PM

c/c c/c turns your hand face up as what? a draw? a pair? your hand could be lots of things by c/c two streets. I agree that it probably shows your hand isn't 2pr+, but if you find villains who can exploit this by extracting extra value or 3barreling often to get you off your hand, you can then adjust by c/r more, c/c with a monster every once in a while, or being willing to c/c 3 streets with flopped TP.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you can then adjust by being willing to ... c/c 3 streets with flopped TP.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is an underrated line, even by me, and it's a technique i see used a lot by top players
Old 09-20-2007, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Given that check/call, check/call kinda turns our hand face up I wonder if check/call flop and donk the turn might actually be better?

[/ QUOTE ]
Turn leads are more transparent, imo. You cannot handle a raise, in most cases. It also saves your opponent a 2nd barrell if he's behind, while costing you the same money when he's ahead. Turning your hand faceup is bad if it can be easily exploited. Check calling top pair is not optimal, but sometimes it's the most +EV against some opponents.

If your opponent never double barrels, then I like a turn lead (so he doesnt take a free card, and this type of opponent will never bluff raise).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a situation where you should change it up how you play it. Lots of lines make sense here. Abreu, just to address what you said, I think think turn leads and flop leads should be done as bluffs, with medium strength hands, and with strong hands OOP. I like leading into villians early in a match to see how they are likely to respond if you donk into them, so that I can figure out how to use this later.