Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring

Old 10-10-2007, 06:31 AM

Default A Question About Table Selection @ Micro Stakes

Hi,

I have recently tried moving tables more often. If I think that there are two or three decent players to my right or perhaps there are a few "decent" short stack players plugging seats.

What Im basicly looking for at a table is
- A high VPIP, especially to my right.
- A low PFR and AF for most players especially to my right.
- Not more than 1 or 2 nitty short stacks (Bad shortstacks are more than welcome)
- No one with solid stats or a high "Attempt to Steal" to my right.
- I will ignore all of the above if there is a total spewtard at the table, his chips are low hanging fruit.

So Im just checking what others look for, I know I might get the response "LOL @ micro stakes table selection" but I have 2 reasons why I should be -
- Every edge should be sought
- I want good habits as I move up.

So here are some questions for you all
(1) How important is table selection (at any stakes)?
(2) Does anyone use the "Stars Buddy List" at the software forum and what do you think of it?
(3) Would you auto-leave if you had a decent 2+2 player at the table or do you like the challange?
(4) What stats do you really like to see to your right?
(5) What stats do you really like to see to your left?
(6) Lets say a table is full of bad players but you cant seem to win a pot, every c-bet gets raised and the donks get lucky when you have a hand.
Your down 2-buyins on that table do you
- Stick it out since its a good table no matter whats happened lately.
- Just leave, maybe there are a couple of good LAGs running you over or your tilting against some of the donks.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:19 AM

Default Re: A Question About Table Selection @ Micro Stakes

I do the same thing, man and follow a pretty similar thought line. Table selection is always important and is a good habit to develop as playing easier tables will increase your winrate (people make more mistakes).

2) I don't use the buddy list...not familiar with it. :/

3) I'd stick around. I learn more about my play when I get involved with good players...I also like to see how they handle situations.

4) Loose passive people to my right please. Especially those who raise weak preflop so I can 3bet them. yummy.

5) Mega-tight nits whose blinds I can try to take down. I'll donk these guys on the flop sometimes too.

6) LOL I hate that! I do my damnedest to self-evaluate here. As long as I'm not tilting/stabbing my pets, I'll stick around. If I feel like the suckouts are affecting my play, I'll take a break and walk away, but stay at the table.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:22 AM

I just look for the tables with the biggest average pots.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:24 AM

I think this aspect is overated, just play good poker and try to get to bigger pots/higher % if possible.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:36 AM

I think having a couple of nits to your left is also outstanding. You can steal their blinds 95% of the time, and they help you isolate by not playing.

I use the buddy list software, I can try to help you set it up sometime in the next few days if you want.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
try to get to bigger pots/higher % if possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I canīt have both at a time, I prefer high flop seen %.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:48 AM

Meh as long as the table isnt like 10% or lower with avg pot of 5 bb or lower its ok imo. And at the micros, it never gets that low.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this aspect is overated, just play good poker and try to get to bigger pots/higher % if possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really couldn't disagree more. Too you, it may not be a huge thing on your list because you are playing so many tables that it isn't feasible. However, I think players can give their win rate a significant boost by using good table selection.

And with that post my assent is complete... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2007, 09:11 AM

Congrats on 2500 threads.

Thanks for the replies so far, I have cut my tables down to 4 so that I can concentrate a little more on learning the game rather than just 8-10 table bashing.

I will give the buddylist software a go, I will take you up on the offer of help Mike!

One final question from me...
You have a "decent" shortstack at the table, where do you want him to be - to your left or right (does it matter)

Most people agree that nits should be to your left (for blind stealing etc.) but I have heard people on the forums say keep them to your right.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:21 AM

Keeping them on your right will give you position on them which is damned good both pre and postflop, but the advantage you gain by having position is a bit smaller because they're playing predictable hands. Firing on low flops becomes much more profitable.

I have a love/hate relationship with shortstackers and can't say I have a preference for where they sit. I'd love to hear opinions on it though.