Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 01-18-2007, 09:49 PM

Default Vonage

I was reading this thread where people talk about land lines and whatever, and there were a couple mentions of Vonage, but no real discussion about it.

Putting aside the already-hashed-out debate about land line vs. cell phone (I have a cell but I also use a land line, moving on, etc.), let's consider switching from my normal home land line service (which is AT&T/SBC) to Vonage.

What's the deal with them? I guess it's some sort of voice-ID thing and not as clear as regular calls? I think it's $25 a month for unlimited local & long distance, and my current bill is $39. Is it worth switching to save the extra $14 a month? Any opinions of Vonage one way or the other?
Old 01-18-2007, 10:28 PM

Default Re: Vonage

You can keep AT&T and get their VOIP service.

AT&T Callvantage

I've had it for about 2 years, and love it. I got it over Vonage, because it was reviewed as an overall better value. My parents tried Vonage and hated it.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:34 PM

I had Vonage for a while. It was $15 a month (500min plan). When I recently moved, I switched to Comcast's bundle of cable/ internet/ phone since it ended being cheaper as a package. I wanted to stay with Vonage. The only thing I didn't like was the Hindu support. Call reception was no better or worse than Comcast.

I get telemarketers with Comcast now, but never with Vonage.

I'd recommend, but only because of price. $15 a month was nice.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:35 PM

I have VOIP through my cable company and my wife's uncle has Vonage. They both sound great. In fact, I think my digital voice through the cable company sounds better than the traditional phone line did. Their value really improves even more if you make a lot of long-distance calls, as they're included in the flat monthly rate.

The main problem with Vonage that I've heard is that their 911 system isn't full 911 in that the 911 operator can't see where you're calling from, so you'd have to tell them where you're calling from in case of an emergency. Comcast digital voice isn't limited this way. If you care to learn more, I think one of these two 911 technologies is called E911, but I don't remember which one.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

AT&T Callvantage

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds pretty good. So if it runs over your high-speed internet, does that cause any problems when you're working online and taking phone calls at the same time?
Old 01-18-2007, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

AT&T Callvantage

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds pretty good. So if it runs over your high-speed internet, does that cause any problems when you're working online and taking phone calls at the same time?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I've never had a problem with it. However, if you have Tivo that connects via a phone line -- VOIP sucks. I suggest having your Tivo connect on your wireless (or wired network), and you won't have a problem.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:24 PM

Used Vonage as extra lines during a campaign last year. They were great when they worked, but we had real spotty internet so it became a problem at times. If you internet is solid, Vonage is fantastic. If not, then...
Old 01-18-2007, 11:26 PM

Even if your internet is reliable, unless it's super fast--i.e., faster than the lowest-tier cable modem, and definitely way faster than DSL--you're going to get crappy call quality. I had Vonage for about a year, with Time Warner's standard RoadRunner service, and it sucked balls. I only kept it that long to avoid being charged the early termination fee. Callers would always complain they couldn't hear me. Stay away from Vonage.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:19 AM

Vonage is fine, plus infinite virtual numbers is hot hot hot!
Old 01-19-2007, 01:35 AM

Have had Vonage for over a year, and for me:

- never had a problem
- call quality is no different to phone
- no impact on lan traffic
- $15/month (not unlimited, but I would never approach 500 mins use on land line)
- I have a virtual UK phone number (~$5?) so friends and family can call me internationally for local charge (you can pick other area codes as well, you can make it look like you have numbers in LA, NY, London etc for extra pimp points)
- perfect solution to feeling like you should keep a land line "just in case" (and I kept my previous number)