Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help

Old 07-12-2007, 09:24 AM

Default Having a hacker over, risks?

A hacker friend has invited himself into my summer house. He asks if he can stay for a week. Since I am a bit paranoid and he isn't very clear cut morally I'm a bit worried that he will hack in to my computer. I have valuable information on my computer that I don't want him to take part of. So I'm asking you guys what risks might be associated with having him over for a week. He is very smart and knows amazingly lot about computers.

The network setup would look like this:

...............Internet........................... ........
...................|.............................. ........
........______router/modem________........................
...........|...................|.................. ........
...his computer...........another router (Linksys WRT54GS)
...............................|.................. ........
..........................my computer.....................

Would he be able to hack in to my computer and get hold of valuable information?
Old 07-12-2007, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Having a hacker over, risks?

It depends on how good he is and how secure your boxes are. I'd be more worried about him being in the house with my computer if I'm away. Best bet is to put a bios password on it and keep it turned off when you aren't there.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It depends on how good he is and how secure your boxes are. I'd be more worried about him being in the house with my computer if I'm away. Best bet is to put a bios password on it and keep it turned off when you aren't there.

[/ QUOTE ]

All I have on the boxes themselves for protection is AVG antivirus and SnnopIt. Plus Ad-Aware and Spybot, but they don't protect in real time.

He won't have any physical access to the computers. I have a very secure work and study area that I keep locked when I'm not there

I'd like to be able to keep it on when I'm not there. Although it is not all that important. BIOS password you say, I'll make a search on that.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:15 AM

Simple answer yes, you're machines are in danger. Do not let him in your house OR turn off your computer, unplug it and put it in the attic.lol Seriously, if this guy is a real hacker and has no morals...well I wouldn't let him in my house, but that is another story. But if this guy is good he can own you machines. Then again, if he's good he can do it today from where ever he's at by getting you to click a certain link, open a certain attachment etc.

Even if you use something like TrueCrpyt and encrypt all of your important data in vaults that cannot be cracked, he can still find away to install a keylogger and get your passwords. This guy does not need physical access to your machines but it just makes it easier if he really wants to do something.

My question is, how does a hacker, who has no morals and you don't trust, end up inviting himself to come stay with you and you don't say no? That is the weirdest part of the story to me.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My question is, how does a hacker, who has no morals and you don't trust, end up inviting himself to come stay with you and you don't say no? That is the weirdest part of the story to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I do trust him pretty much though. This is more paranoia than anything. You know, nothing is for sure. I'd say the probability he will want to hack my computer is way lower than 1%, but still, that makes me cringe. Buhu...
Old 07-12-2007, 12:53 PM

My computer hint for day:

Anyone who has prob(hacking you) > 0 should not be welcome in your house.

Does this really need to be said?
Old 07-12-2007, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the probability he will want to hack my computer is way lower than 1%, but still, that makes me cringe.

[/ QUOTE ]
My friends don't make me cringe. Just sayin'.
-Sam
Old 07-12-2007, 02:00 PM

Just tell him: "If I see you using my computer or accessing it I'm throwing you out immediately and never speaking to you again..."

I mean
[ QUOTE ]
My friends don't make me cringe. Just sayin'.
-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. Seriously.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:05 PM

This sounds more like OP paranoia than any actual risk. Most people who are "very smart and knows amazingly lot about computers" generally talk more about what they could do rather than what they have actually done.

Tell your friend you're worried. He should take it as a huge ego boost and wouldn't bother your [censored]. If he flips out and goes off on you for not trusting him, he was probably planning on hacking your gibson.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:38 PM

OP,

If you want to know the risks, just turn off your firewall and real-time virus and spyware protection for a day while leaving your computer on and connected to the net.