Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-07-2007, 12:34 PM

Default 6.50 QJs bubble w/2 short stacks

This won't even compute in SNGPT, and I don't think it's an ICM problem anyway. This situation comes up fairly often and everyone seems to play it the same, but occasionally someone does what I consider very stupid in this situation. However, there was a post here sometime ago about how this might actually be the correct play (by the villain).

I only have about 100 hands on villain, all in the same set. He's about 9% vpip, and seems to be playing a very good push/fold game late. In this game I've been folding junk utg and letting him attack the short stacks. I pushed once utg with AQs when the shorties weren't quite so short, he folded, and so did the shorties.

With QJs I want to play with the two short stacks, but not a bigger stack. I don't want to push PF, because if villain calls, I'm almost certainly way behind, but I do want to get in against one or both of the short stacks.

Ordinarily, villain would recognize what I'm doing and 1) fold junk, 2) limp a decent hand then check it down, or 3) push a monster to get HU with the short stack.

So I limp, and villain pushes. I put him on a monster and fold. He turns over 64o. WTF?

Can this possibly be correct play on his part? Should I have limped, raised, pushed, or just folded PF?

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t400 with t25 antes (4 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

Hero (t4865)
Button (t7390)
SB (t275)
BB (t970)

Preflop: Hero is in CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero calls t400, <font color="red">Button raises to t7365 (All-in)</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, BB calls t545 (All-in), <font color="gray">Hero folds</font>