Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 01-26-2006, 11:55 PM

Default Flopped weak 2nd pair from BB

MP is 48/12/1.7
This seems like a very common situation that I should have a default play for against unkowns, lags, and tags.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, MP calls, SB calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls, SB folds.

River: (5.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB
Old 01-27-2006, 12:10 AM

Default Re: Flopped weak 2nd pair from BB

I like your flop and turn play, but I think that the river is a check/fold -- I think you are behind more often than not here.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:11 AM

check/call a spade river? call a turn raise and fold river unimproved?
Old 01-27-2006, 12:16 AM

Yeah I think that's what I would do.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:20 AM

Hmmm. This guy is pretty loose and will be aggressive at times. I would imagine most any player with his stats would bet the river in this situation here with you checking it and showing weakness even if they have nothing. I see this a lot. I'm not against the call here. He has shown no aggression at all and the river bet is expected. I think you take this pot more than 1 in 6 times.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:26 AM

You flop bet here was good but I don't like the turn bet at all you've just gone behind most hands the called on the flop, and with 2-opponents this is a very iffy bet. I hate getting raised on this turn, you've got a weak hand/weak draw.
Check and hope for the free-card if the MP bets (+SB folds) you've got some decisions to make, with that VPiP he is quite aggressive so maybe you could call down.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:51 AM

so there is 3 others in this hand. Obviously a q is not going to fold. So i would check this out and if its checked to the button who bets if the sb calls then your scared but stay in anyways for the turn. If the sb folds then raise to protect aqainst the other guy. If he cold calls and the other guy calls then we're worried. But if he folds and the other guy calls then you are probably ahead. Bet out and but fold to any raise.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:28 AM

I usually don't like to be aggressive w/ these multiway pots and very marginal holdings. I think someone has a Q the majority of the time. I may lead flop once in awhile, but not usually. I'd usually ch/fold this. Maybe that's why I'm at 1/2 and not 5/10.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:19 AM

I am not sure that i would bet this flop but i dont think its that bad. I would definetly check the turn. The king is bad for you in that its another overcard and it completes a flush. To me the turn is a check fold.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:25 AM

Why are you betting this flop? Is there a good reason to do this? I'm prolly check/calling (or folding) this flop, and folding turn UI. But I also suck.