View Single Post
Old 07-09-2007, 01:48 AM

Default Re: A philosophy site some might find interesting and helpful...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I don't doubt their qualifications, but not much of what I read one one topic chosen more or less at random seemed like it was philosophy. It was just the opinion of a guy who happened to be a philosopher. Not a lot of supporting his reasoning, just a lot of assertions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read the "Is it ethical for surgeons to use economic considerations when setting their fees?" and so far it flows along those lines...

[ QUOTE ]
I think it would be wrong to use simple supply-and-demand considerations where the supplier (the surgeon) charged the highest price the market will bear. Why? Because higher prices will exclude those with less money from the service, and I don't think it morally defensible to distribute essential medical services on the basis of wealth.

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't seem like an answer to the 'why' question except in the loosest sense. "I think X is wrong because it requires Y and I think Y is wrong." I was surprised to come to the end of his comments without an answer to the 'why' question and seemed like a dog chasing his tail.

Perhaps Y is a given, it didn't seem so to me and I tend to agree with his end position.

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly how I read that reply, and what prompted my response.

Its entirely possible that I just happened to pick a really bad topic, and that the site as a whole is much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you got levelled.