View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 09:52 PM

Default Build/buy a computer for television: DVR, DVD, high-def, etc.

I'm hoping to buy or build a computer that can replace all the other stuff connected to my television. I'm not great with computers but I can do okay. The final goal is to have the computer be a computer and entertainment system in one remote-controllable box. Some things I want:

1. I want to be able to watch media on my HD television from the following sources: broadcast television (not cable/sat), DVD, Netflix "Watch it Now", full episodes from networks' websites, and iTunes. Maybe I'm forgetting some sources.

2. DVR software that can play non-live TV smoothly.

3. HDMI output is obviously preferred.

4. Dolby sound.

5. Ability to also use this as a home computer, hopefully even while viewing/recording stuff on TV by using an alternate monitor.

6. Remote control, wireless keyboard and mouse.

7. I'd like it to be all contained within the one computer box, instead of six connected devices.

I've seen similar things for sale, but they always seem to be lacking in one area or ridiculously overpriced. I've even seen one with a slot for your cable/satellite card so you don't need your set-top receiver from them. I can't believe there aren't more of these out there and that everyone doesn't want this.

What's the best way to make this happen? If you've seen something like this for sale or have ideas for how I can build this for less than about $2500, I'll be glad to hear it.