View Single Post
Old 02-19-2007, 08:41 PM

Default Re: High-end Dining: Expectations and Reviews

Citanul,

What did you like in Chicago? (I think we've had this conversation before in another thread, though maybe not so restricted to high-end stuff.)

I enjoyed Charlie Trotter's, although it was so hyped that when I went maybe I it couldn't quite meet expectations. That said, it was an excellent meal. I preferred Tru though. The restaurant itself seems more open and bright (Trotter's small house seems almost oppressive) and the food was better tasting. Trotter's food was a little more eclectic and lighter, Tru's a little more rich. The candy cart at the end of Tru's meal was fun. Service was excellent at both. One cool thing was that Trotter's gives you a tour of the kitchen/restaurant if you ask. Man, the kitchen is small considering how many people are cooking their butts off back there.

Arun's (high end Thai, for those not familiar) was very good but maybe not quite as transcendant as I would expect for the price. Maybe that's my bias though - being Asian, I like the down-home authentic type of Asian cooking, and Arun's is super-fancy royal Thai cuisine. Service not quite as polished as Trotter's/Tru.

I was not particularly impressed with Spiaggia - I felt that it was overpriced. The Italian food was not SO excellent that I felt it was worth the extra money over a nice (though inferior, of course) Italian place. Have you been to Alinea? Or Moto? (Since we're discussing experimental places)