View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 06:23 AM

Default Re: How long do I withhold tips? Dealer mistake costs me $1800. (long)

[ QUOTE ]
I have ways to ensure all action is complete before I burn and turn, thus I've only ever done this twice, both times with someone hiding their cards. Some dealers do this virtually every day. Some people, like me, care about poker. Some don't, they just wanna get tipped.

Spread your tip money around according to who deserves it. But remember, dealers are human, even the best make mistakes occasionally. Plus, it's much much harder than it looks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points Al.

I usually have to stop a dealer from burning and turning too early about twice a month. If I'm acting last the dealer usually isn't paying attention since I tend to make my checks and bets in a straight-forward manner. At the same time I won't act out of turn so sometimes the dealer is in a hurry to move the game along and assumes I checked the button before the action is really on me. So unfortunately I have to be ready to call "time" with vehemence in order to protect my action.

Note that acting last when its checked to the type of player who doesn't make his action clear opens up a possible angle. With a sloppy dealer an unethical player can do nothing when the action is on him and maybe the dealer thinks he checked and will burn and turn. If the button gets the card he wants he says nothing. If he doesn't he can say "hey, I didn't act" and call for a ruling. He'll usually get another chance at a card he wants (or avoid a card he doesn't want).

~ Rick