View Single Post
Old 10-27-2007, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Bankroll for shortstacking?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Aggressive players tend to dislike shortstackers because deep players (100 bb+) prefer to raise with a broad range of hands and have the freedom to play the flop, turn, and river a variety of ways. Shortstackers will counteract these players by reraising KKxx and AAxx mostly and try to deny deeper players the ability to play a wide range on hands past the flop. Shortstackers do cost themselves money in the long run because even if they double up in a hand, they have missed out on profit because they were not 100 bb deep. Additionally, some shortstackers are unable to transition to medium stack play. Some of these players will leave tables rather than continuing to play. Therefore, we have the term "ratholers".

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, my original post had nothing to do with the 'ethics' of hit-and-running, but rather what is a reasonable bankroll for such a strategy. I could care less of the 'ethics' of this strategy.

I understand that 'ratholing' is frustrating to 'proper' players who buy-in for the max (100BB), but this is a legit strategy. I hear players like Ribbo (in his videos) laughing at players for having ~30BB at a table, but he is completely missing the point. Short-stacking is an almost 100% unexploitable strategy (if done properly) that will allow players to build up a bankroll at small risk. Of course, many short-stackers have no idea how to properly use short-stack strategy. Personally, it has allowed me to move up limits MUCH faster than I would have otherwise.

If one plans to move up limits and become a 'great' player, it is crucial that he develops good deep-stack skills. But to say short-stacking threads should result in an insta-ban is completely laughable... it is embarrassing actually.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um please read my post again. "Ratholing" as I used it was the hit and run strategy where someone plays very shortstack and then leaves if they win their coin flip. I agree that it is very tough to defend against the very shortstack strategy, but in truth deepstackers really dont need to. Once a shortstacker gets to 60 bb or higher, they will lose money if they can not adapt. Additionally at 60 bb or even 80bb, the range of hands that can be played preflop is still hampered by the fact that play beyond the flop is very limited.

My suggestion to you is to take shots at higher levels, rather than shortstack at a level you don't have enough buyins at which to compete.