View Single Post
Old 05-30-2007, 02:39 PM

Default Re: How Can I Tell If I Have a Tell?

[ QUOTE ]
How can you know if you have a tell? How can you minimize giving off tells?

Is there any way short of having a camera record your play that you can be aware of any tells you are giving?

[/ QUOTE ]
I would concentrate on the common tells.

1. Don't look at your hole cards preflop until it is your turn. Many players have a peek and then hold the cards in a manner that they are ready to fold on their turn.

2. Don't glance from the flop to your chips. This is another common tell that you are interested in the hand. Instead, on the flop look for some other player that gives off this tell.

3. If you have two high cards of different suit, remember their suit so you don't have to check when a flush possibility presents itself. If you are suited and flop a flush, check your hole cards as a reverse to this tell.

4. Take a medium amount of time for your actions (other than folding). You don't want to seem either too excited or too disinterested in a hand.

5. Try to speak in the same tone, manner, voice, etc. for all your actins. Some players will speak softly when they have a big hand and speak aggressively when they are bluffing.

6. If you have made a big all-in bet pick a spot on the table and stare at it and think of other things like the laundry you need to do or what your plans are for the weekend.

7. Pay attention to what you are saying during a hand. some players will clam right up from their normal banter when they have a big hand.

8. And one other common thing to watch out for is the weak is strong, strong is weak tell. This can manifest itself in many ways so try to play on an even keel all of the time.

Other than that, we all have some very specific personal tells that are mostly subtle. I doubt that any player could pick up on these unless they were an expert who knew you well.