View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 10:21 PM

Default Re: Pooh Bah Post(Warning: Long)

Hey mwette, I too started playing those 2/4 tables there last year and I found it really hard to make anything. For a few reasons: I stunk, I didn't know what I was doing much at all(I am still learning), the rake and tips being big ones also. Same with the 3/6. I didn't start to become any kind of a winning player till I jumped up to the 4/8 and started taking $100+ shots at it. I was posting here a lot more, playing, reading, studying, asking a ton of what must have been pretty mundane questions etc. That helped out a ton.

So as to what there is to gain from moving up to 4/8 from where you are now, everything if your roll can handle it. Even if it can't completely, you should be hitting it with at least a rack or more and test the water IMO. You'll be surprised as to how good all the games are there. You will easily be one of the better players I'm sure. Obviously it is better to buy into those games with 2 racks at a minimum but I am all for buying in for a rack and checking the games out. If you do buy in for 2 racks you'll be alone. Nobody at HG buys in for more than 1 rack except for a few of us 2+2ers who play there. Half of them buy in for less than a rack it seems as well. Anyways, the 4/8 there is a half kill game so just be aware if you are taking a shot for just a rack, that it can go quick if you are in a kill pot that is playing 6/12 and there is a lot action etc. The first few times I played it it was noticeably a bit more agressive and a bit wild at times so I wasn't prepared for going to flop for 2-3 bets at one particular session. If you are not sure about it, just buy into the game and play really tight just to see how the game goes. You will notice how much bigger the pots are compared to the 3/6 game. Da rake effect.

Good luck

PS. I keep waiting for the games to get tougher the higher I play and it hasn't happened yet.