View Single Post
Old 07-28-2007, 04:23 PM

Default Re: Daily Reading suggestions/ideas/criticism

[ QUOTE ]

Geez, why do you need to read so much? I am a financial advisor and I read almost nothing day-to-day. I read nothing about the markets or the economy. If you have globally diversified and balanced passive portfolios (like all of my clients), you can relax and enjoy the long-term growth without watching it day to day.

-Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people actually enjoy reading. And reading isn't only about managing your portfolio for higher returns or whatever...in fact, for me, it's rarely about that. It's about gaining a broader perspective on the things happening around you (or even not around you). You never know when you'll need or use knowledge gained through reading, but it's an invaluable opportunity to take advantage of (and even better, it's free.)

I could've closed my eyes and came up with an adequate portfolio of index funds using Vanguard without ever reading a word.

"I read nothing about the markets or the economy." This worries me, regardless of the success of your portfolios. How can you really understand the environment in which your clients live and operate without ever reading about it?