View Single Post
Old 07-27-2006, 10:45 AM

Default The \"Real\" Ricky Zilem wasn\'t at the tables at Ballys

I have to defend the real Ricky Zilem's honor here (as far as I know the real Ricky Zilem may not even play poker). The player you saw on TV was not Ricky Zilem, but rather his cousin ("Chris", known in Dallas poker circles as "Smiling Chris") who played under Ricky's name and ID because Chris was a few months short of age 21 - After playing in the recently televised Ballys circuit event, "Ricky/Chris" won a bracelet at the $1,500 NL Bellagio Five Star Open Event in April. Rumor has it that someone ratted on "Ricky/Chris" and he has been barred from LV tournament play, including this year's WSOP events, although he is now "legal". He was able to keep his tournament bracelet and winnings ($130,000 because a deal was made when it got down to three handed). I've played with Chris in many local tournaments and he's a good guy, albeit a little foolish for pulling this stunt (I think he wanted to gain some experience and have some fun and didn't expect to do so well and get the spotlight focused on his tender a**). His "play" on TV is similar to his play at the local tourneys where he will gamble and either finish well or bust early. So, yes the criticism in the posts below is deserved, but should be directed at Smiling Chris and not his pseudo famous cousin Ricky.