View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 07:43 PM

Default Re: annoying dealer comments

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, if the rules are like that I would much prefer the dealer to sat which is best rather then go through speech that every time a new player comes in.

[/ QUOTE ]
And for the brand new to B&M tourist just sitting down for his first 2/4 game, normal rules are like this. I've seen people get deer in headlights looks and be completely speechless and frozen in terror when the first thing the dealer asks when they sit down is "are you posting?" Doesn't help when the dealer tries to "clarify" with something like "you can post a big blind now or wait for the blind and post then, or wait a couple more hands and buy the button, or let the button pass and come in behind". The response is either a deepening look of terror or a plantive "uhhhh... ok?" A simple "you can post or wait two hands for the blind--I'd just wait" will speed things up and make the first impression the player gets match what the floor promised him...that "the dealer will help you figure it out."

You want to cultivate the friendly appearance of the table to the n00bs. Sure, get 'em to do something stupid like post UTG and you may get an extra $2 from 'em one time. Or make friends, convince them this is just like playing on their kitchen table, and they'll come back and give you $200 every weekend long as they're having a good time.

It sounds like in OP's case the player wasn't new. In which case, he knew he had the option to ask to be let in. And if he's as hot-to-play and as bad as we're lead to believe, he probably will ask to be dealt in.

[/ QUOTE ]
Generally when I see the "Runaway Bride" Deer in the Headlights look, I'll smile at the n00b and say: "You just need to post a Big Blind to see your first cards - you can do it now or wait a couple of hands until you're ready. Oh, and those things are called 'chips'. Good luck!"

They always appreciate the "welcome" to the table. It relieves the tension and the game goes on.