View Single Post
Old 12-30-2006, 09:29 PM

Default Re: Bankroll Definition and Recommendation for No-Limit Hold \'em

[ QUOTE ]
So in return I ask what is a pro?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say someone whos primary income is from poker. If you make more money from poker than your day job, you are a pro.

[ QUOTE ]

Some have mentioned the difference between liquid bankroll and illiquid / non-bankroll money. That's less interesting to me. Everything's convertible anyway, the only question is the transaction cost in time and money.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your invested money are bound for say a year, I don't see how they could be considered a part of your bankroll(?)

[ QUOTE ]

The loan question is very interesting. How much would you borrow? How much stress would that put you under? How much would you give up in acceleration of rise in limits to avoid that stress?

[/ QUOTE ]

Including money you could potentially loan in your bankroll calculations really seems like a stretch. Maybe the guy that recently was willing to lend you a large amount of cash/stake you isn't that interested after you went busto/he went busto/a hurricane blew away his house/you slept with his wife etc.

[ QUOTE ]

I suspect a player who does not tilt, always drops down, avoids negative EV situations well, and quits when playing badly will do better with 20 buyins as a hard floor than an average successful poker player would do with 30 buyins as a hard floor. So I'm encouraged to advocate 30 as a hard floor and stress repeatedly that tiltlessness, concentration, control, ability to quit, gambool aversion, and similar "soft" skills have a radical affect on bankroll requirements.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure. That seems reasonable.