View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 03:29 PM

Default Re: What you think about this theory of mine

I may not be explaining myself clearly, sorry for that, so here's a better example.
blinds 25/50
Villain CO 1000
Hero BB 1500

Villain raises to 150, Hero goes all in.
Now on Pokerstars for example, Villain will see this on his screen: The pot is 1675, and it's 850 for him to call. Now lets say villain wasn't paying attention to stack sizes preflop, thinking they're about even (a fine assumption since this is SSMTT). He may take the total pot size and divide it by how much it costs for him to call, giving him about 2:1. THIS IS NOT CORRECT. Villain is actually only getting 1.38:1, because he forgot to subtract the amount of money Hero takes back because hero has him covered. Therefore in this case were Hero went all in instead of putting his opponent all in, the villain is given the chance to miscalculate his pot odds, and he'll call 2:1 more often than 1.38:1. (Villain would calculate 1.38:1 correctly if you just put him all in, because then when he reads on his screen, the amount in the pot, divided by how much it is going to cost him, and no money is given back to Hero).