View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 12:09 PM

Default What you think about this theory of mine

Your playing an online tournament, lets say the blinds are 25/50 you have 1000 in chips and open raise it to 150. It gets folded around to the BB who has 10,000 in chips (including his BB) and goes all in. It's folded to you, and you look at the pot size, the software tells you the pot is 10,175, and it's 850 more for you to call. Well you're getting 12:1 on the call so insta call with any two right? Well of course thats not right because you forgot that you can only win 1000 from him, so you need to subtract from the pot what you can't win.
Well this example was obvious, and I doubt anybody would make the mistake thinking they were getting 12:1, but what if the stack sizes were a lot closer... then it wouldn't be as easy to realize that you can't win all the money in the pot.
So my theory is this: If a lone opponent raises (or just calls I guess), you have more chips than him (but not a lot more) and you want to put it all in preflop you should either:
1. If you want to get called, move all in yourself. Your opponent may miss the marginal differences in stack size and figure he's getting better odds than he really is and call more often.
2. If you don't want to get called, move him all in only. There will be less money in the pot, and he will call less often.

There are some other factors backing up my theory, like some people online (not live as bond stated a couple days ago) find all ins to be weaker than putting a lot of money in but leaving a little behind. Also if you just put your opponent all in, then he sees you have him covered and may be inclined to fold because he knows you can bust him this hand but he can't bust you.

Anyways what do you guys think?