View Single Post
Old 11-10-2007, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Fool me once...fool me twice....Kelvin Sampson

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I get the feeling most of the opinions on this subject have more to do with how much the person likes the coach.

A post-season ban for Indiana is practically impossible. IU has never gotten in trouble with them, and these violations are very minor in terms of the school. The only reason these violations are even worth the time to put them on newsprint is that Sampson had a past and was on sanctions when they came out.

If they want to hit Sampson harder, they can do that without hitting IU who found the violations and reported them promptly.

[/ QUOTE ]

IU was advised not to hire Sampson
they cannot be absolved

they also did not find the violations promptly--they were supposed to have effective internal controls monitoring their hire of a probation coach on a weekly basis

in addition, no violation is minor when one is on probation

add-in that there was no real punishment that IU self-enforced

Here is what IU did:
1) They cut one scholarship for one season
Ironically enough, one of their 2008 recruits had just gotten busted for crack cocaine possession....guess what scholarship is now an IU self-enforced penalty?
2) They didn't give Sampson a schedule pay raise
hmmmm....how does this hurt the university again?
They save money on paying a coach that has few bargaining chips against them now that he has the NCAA hanging over him.

so, I'm pretty sure one can expect more

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, when I was at IU, I'm not gonna say where, but I saw them sacraficing baby goats (cute ones) before games in the basement of Ballen...er nowhere. *Whistles*

Cody