View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 03:09 PM

Default I can’t stop playing poker

I’ve been playing poker (almost entirely on the internet) for just over a year. I spend pretty much all my free time playing. I’m playing so much now that it’s beginning to impinge on my time with my fiancée and is affecting my college work.

I have kept track of my deposits etc… and I am an overall winner, although not by a lot. Over time I’ve moved from $1 sit n go’s up to $5. I’ve played about 600 in total. Recently I’ve also been playing ring games at .10/.20.

I’ve been going through a lot of turbulence in my bankroll recently. Sometimes I think I want to move up to higher stakes (sick of getting drawn out) and other times I think I’d be better off to just quit. Though I love the game so much (if I’m not playing I’m reading poker books or watching poker shows) I don’t think I really want to (or could) quit anyway.

I think it would be great if I could limit my poker playing to like 2 hours midweek and 2 on the weekend, while still getting enough excitement for the “fix” etc…

I also find it hard to manage my emotions when I’m losing and start throwing money away. I love money too much to do this! I think playing less would improve my game too becuase then I have time to cool off and compose myself.

My reason for posting is to get advice from anyone who can suggest a good time management system for poker playing or resources on will power/motivation that they have found useful? Anything of that kind. Anyone else had similar problems and how did you deal with it?

Thanks,