View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 04:40 PM

Default Re: The Ultra-Fi thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Would an average person be able to hear the difference between the ultra high fi and say a midrange system? Do you need some special physical gift for hearing. Would a middle aged person be be able to hear this stuff? Additionally, would you have to be a musician yourself to really appreciate this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever listened to a song on the radio in your car and mistook it for a real concert?

PS. I'm listening to Mozart - Requiem album at the moment, on headphones, and it's giving me shivers all over.

[/ QUOTE ]

I spent a couple grand to get a decent (you might disagree...) system. But I'm not sure I should have b/c the things that give me shivers tend more often to be things like WWII era bootlegs of long dead conductors. Can the same person be into that and into finding the speakers that make, say, the just perfect shimmer of a brushed cymbal? When you're into "music" over the sound (though of course they're not ever separate), can you ever have the audiophile ear? It's hard to evaluate the timbre of a brass section when what you fixate on is the harmony and the counterpoint, eg.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not following. If you love music, then hearing the music distorted is going to degrade your experience. It's like watching at a beautiful sunset with sunglasses.

For example: would you rather listen to the bootleg or would you rather hear it right there in the concerthall, in the best seat?