View Single Post
Old 09-26-2007, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Decisions to join or not join the military

When I was growing up, we would say that such and such "gave up." This was our way of saying that someone joined the military.

Everyone I knew that went into boot camp came out effed up. They were going to infantry, because that is what poor kids from tha 'hood get pushed into.

I don't approve of recruiters in classes and calling 16 and 17 years olds at home. It is sad that they are promising to pay for college and promising great credit, etc, when there are conditions for these things. Of coarse, these conditions are not mentioned until the papers have your x on them.

I do know people who were in the military. It seems like 50-50 are for or against it. When I was in San Diego, I fought many military kids.

I couldn't imagine not having the freedom to choose. I am told that I could travel. I traveled. I was told I could learn. I learned. I don't like guns. I have had them pointed to my face, and these are from people who were far less likely to shoot than some Iraqi kid. I do not have the nerve to point a gun at anyone. I could not live with myself if I knew I destroyed national treasures, killed fathers and mothers, and forced children to spend the rest of their lives without an arm or a leg.