Thread: Getting a cat
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2007, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Getting a cat

This is actually one of the few things on this board I am qualified to talk about.

1. Initial cost is fairly cheap, get the cat (most shelters and rescue groups will have them by the boatloads this time of year or can get through an acquaintance whose cat got knocked up), food - get a good quality food - better quality equals less poop to clean - I like Science diet, but Eukanuba (Iams) and Purina make some good foods too. Vet bills depend on if you just need the checkups and vaccines or also need surgery for getting it fixed and/or declawed (Most shelters/rescues won't adopt kittens until sterilized). Other costs are litter boxes and litter. Over the long run, litter and food are your biggest expenses.

2. The most important thing to keep your cat from messing in your apt/home is CTFB (Clean the freaking box!) The whole idea of a cat using a litterbox is that the box is the most pleasant place in the house for a cat to eliminate. A dirty box is not a nice bathroom. I am also a big believer in declawing to minimize damage to people and stuff, but if you decide not to declaw, you need to take some time and help train your cat to a scratching post (ask your vet).

3. I have no problem with leaving a cat for a couple of days in a safe home. Make sure you remove any collars (no accidental hanging), leave a clean box, and plenty of food/water.

If you have any questions, just let me know,

Doc
(I am a veterinarian in St. Louis)