View Single Post
Old 03-12-2007, 01:06 PM

Default Re: You never know where you are

OP I have to agree with you 1000%. I have found the low limit games are growing considerably passive and weak to the point of absurdity like you said.

I was in a game the other day with two older ladies who would not bet anything under two pair. They would c/c anything less and never raise. If you are observant you can start to pick this up and it's no big deal. Needless to say they both lost.

I found the game to be "trap city." So like you say it was hard to tell where you're at because nobody has the guts to take the lead for fear of all the people sitting in the weeds.

In a way, I think people at low limits are trying to hard not to "lose" that makes the game this way. They are trying to save bets and minimize losing. People are not trying to maximize EV. They are playing "sure thing" poker, but "sure thing poker" only works for a short while, until observant opponents know what they are doing and stop calling their bets. Then they start c/c with big hands, since no one will call their bet, and they stand to make more by c/c. That's when you start to see some ridiculousness like what you posted.

When I see players like this, I usually want to boot them out of the game with a baseball bat. They are usually old tight people. But, just try to sit behind them so you dont have to act before they do. This always helps. Or, leave the game. Find one where people are betting and raising on nothing and then play like they do.

-J