View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 08:12 PM

Default Re: photography buffs, help me buy a DSLR camera

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a Canon guy - 1D Mark II.

There's not a lot of difference between Canon and Nikon anymore, but I like that Canon seem to think full-size sensors is the way to go with DSLRs.

[/ QUOTE ]That's not quite true. While they do have more FF cameras than Nikon (does Nikon have any?), they also fully support the crop sensor, having just released the 40D and two new EF-S lenses.

[/ QUOTE ]
At some point a while back a Canon exec stated that the 1 series would all have FF sensors. And the 5D has a FF sensor as well.
I agree that for consumer level cameras, both Canon and Nikon seem content with a smaller sensor.

To me, Canon sound like they want to continue making cameras with FF sensors. And I don't think Nikon has made one yet.

Usually it's not a big deal, but I have a fish-eye lens and I'd love to get the full effect from it rather than the cropped image I get today (the 1D Mk II has 1.3 multiplier sensor).
Plus a larger sensor means more light hits it, so you get a better signal/noise ratio. And I love shallow depth of field and that's easier to get with a large sensor.