View Single Post
Old 10-18-2007, 10:33 PM

Default Re: How would you play at the final table against a known superuser?

[ QUOTE ]
Strange, I only get dealt big pairs about 2.5% of hands, so I'd expect to have blinded away using this strategy. Especially as when you raise, you'll not get incorrect calls, and big pairs are bad hands to suck out on someone with.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you stall, you wont be forced to play many hands. That's the main thing. You are just trying to bide your time for when the stack:blind ratio is very low.

For the big pairs, the most important concept is that you arent playing because you want him to stack off with a worse hand. You do it precisely because you know he wont.

You do it because he will just call 100% of the time preflop, assuming that he will be able to value shove when he flops a big hand and get you to fold when the board is too intimidating. With that knowledge alone, you can play extremely effectively.

if he peels on a safe flop, as long as the turn is not intimidating, you should either bet small and fold to a raise, or check/fold.

the problem with medium pairs or less is that too many flops will have overcards, where it is very difficult to determine whether he is value betting you or bluffing you. when you have a big overpair, you dont have that problem.

i would not bank on my ability to decipher his post flop play with weak made hands. you WILL pick up a lot of bluffs by check/calling super lite, but you will also always be paying off even marginally better ones. the kind of hands that you need to check/call with are going to be so awful that even a random hand has a good chance of beating you. unless you knew before hand that he leads weak when he knows you're too weak to call a big bet and bets big when he has a worse hand and wants you to fold, you cannot use the information to your advantage.