View Single Post
Old 11-05-2006, 01:03 PM

Default Re: Post a childhood memory

Just to be a child. Simply to exist without being violently ripped from the present with thoughts of bills, women, responsibility. Never having the pleasure of a walk through the forest, with my dog, tainted by the memory of a past mistake.

Knowing that Daddy knew everything. Being woken from a nap at the daycare center to find him there ready to take me to the zoo for a ride on a camel.

Riding my bike at 12 and knowing that the only thing that mattered was being able to keep up with my friends as we whizzed along down the trail.

And perhaps ones I miss the most, though I didn't know it at the time were all the times that books and movies and infitesimal disappointments would bring on tears and subsequent emotional release without ever realizing there was a world of people out there whose opinions were supposed to matter to me.

I was going to end it there, but find my own words too bittersweet, so I'll end on a lighter note.

When I was three or four, I had spinal meningitis.

I remember some of the trauma that went along with that experience, but I never knew how sick I was, so there was never any fear of death or disability. And to this day one of my fondest memories of childhood were the days that my father would come to visit me in my crib. I would stand up and pull at the facemask he was required to wear and let it snap back on his mouth. I would do this until the elastic broke and then we'd do it again. It was truly great fun.