View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Ron Zook >>>> Charlie Weis

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As a Florida alum, I will say this. Whoever followed Spurrier @ UF was set-up to fail. Zook had no chance from day 1.

D

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting observation...could you provide some insight to the state of the program when SS left (i.e. previous records, incoming recruits, etc)

Also, what was the consensus view of Zook from Florida fans while he was there?

[/ QUOTE ]

BigDaddy,

Not an alum, but a lifelong fan. Spurrier was pretty much worshipped in Florida. Dont remember the exact numbers, but he won a NC during his tenure and numerous SEC championships. As for Zook, UF fans pretty much hated him. Good recruiter, not so good as a head coach. But that poster was correct, anyone following Spurrier was not set up for success because the bar was set so high during his time at Florida.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chris,

To RZ's credit, he set up Urban Meyer with player talent that could rival anyone in the nation. It's the reason when Meyer was comparing the ND/UF jobs, his dad famously advised that "he could win sooner in Flordia" With a national championship in his 2nd year, the results obviously speak for themselves. Though I think Weis is the better long term hire for ND (he's an ND guy and isn't going anywhere whereas UM may have used the job as a stepping stone) it's impossible not to wonder how UM would be doing at this stage of the game at ND.

BTW Navy has to be psyched that this could be the year Notre Dame's 38 (?) game win streak may end...given this season's debacle and my service academy affiliation I may end up cheering for you guys.