View Single Post
Old 05-21-2007, 02:29 PM

Default Re: Article Request: Analysis of Bots

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not worried about someone writing a bot and running it in the attempts to make money. What does worry me is a poker site writing its own in-house bots and running them on their own server in cash games.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes no sense whatsoever to me. Why would a poker site do this? Maybe a small poker site. But there is no reason a major site like Stars, FTP, or Party would want to do this. It's simple risk reward. Right now major sites make millions of dollars. Millions! Think about how many hands are player per hour on a major site. Add up the rake and tournament buy-in fees. The major poker sites are making more money than they ever dreamed of. What would happen to that money if they got caught using a bot? No one would play there. They would lose all their business. And for what? A few more BBs/hour using a bot? LOL. There is absolutely no logical reason for a major poker site using a bot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this "what would they have to gain" argument is nonsense. I will make it very simple. Why make $X in a fair game when you can rig it and make 2*$X.

That's like saying, "why would anyone ever cheat at poker? If the games are always good, why cheat? Simple risk V reward. You have too much to lose by getting caught and kicked out of the game. Just play fair and play better."

But yet poker players cheat? Huge multinational corporations that make tons of legitimate profits still cook their books and choose to engage in unscrupulous business practices in order to make more money. Why?

Because two dollars are always better than one. Do not underestimate greed.

In summary, I'm not saying that sites are/aren't could/couldn't run house bots, w/e. But if you think they aren't because they have "too much to lose", then you're very naive.