View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 12:13 PM

Default Re: If I forget everything I read about PSRs...

Good question, and since grunching is learning, here i go:

SPR helps to avoid tough decisions. Tough decisions (compared to easy ones) are more likely to bring about mistakes. Mistakes are how you lose money.

I think SPR is a very useful tool for playing top pair/overpair hands, especially in loose games where giving implied odds is a concern. At the same time, when you're deciding whether or not to play 75s, you think "what's the SPR going to be?" which points toward the way the hand will play out.

Low SPR -> you're getting the money in quicker, so with a speculative hand you either have to flop big, bluff convincingly, or forfeit a shot at the pot when you've invested a good chunk of effective stacks. With a big pair/TPTK hand, you don't really care what goes down, you usually will be willing to get your money in.

High SPR -> you can take a flop and see; get away from the hand; push someone off a hand; often get implied odds to go to the turn and river; may have to "trap" to get someone to commit AI.

In general if you already intuitively think in terms of taking or giving implied odds, then you probably have the concept down without having a name for it.