View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 12:22 PM

Default Re: NL25 overpair vs minraise

[ QUOTE ]
Its standard for the reasons you already know. Villain can show up here with draws and overpairs quite often. Of course we dont know this guy specifically so we dont know what HE can show up with, but thats why we call them unknowns. We then establish what a general unknown will do, and most will show up with a range we are quite ahead of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm. Not sure I agree. Obviously "most unknowns" is kind of broad... but I would say there are more TAGS and PASSIVE players then maniacs/LAGs. Most players do not put in their whole stack with overcards or unimproved small-midpairs.

I agree that a hand like A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] would be in villains range but, if so, we are possibly flipping.

I'm actually undecided about this hand. But I do think enough thought isn't put into how much one pair is worth. I don't see anyone actually thinking about what an average player gets his stack in here.

I suspect the average player isn't very good. And yet, I bet the average player is more cautious then people are giving him credit for. (I have to datamine to find tables with lots of loose aggressive players - I would say your average table is more to be filled with TAGS and SLAGS and Loose passives.)

again - my point is that I don't think most players are getting in their whole stack here as weakly as people seem to indicate. Some players, sure... but I would generalize the average player as being more risk averse then we like to think. In which case always getting in an over pair for a full stack on most flops against your 'average' player is not so clear.