View Single Post
Old 07-17-2007, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Ask Cancuk about backpacking/independant travel.

[ QUOTE ]
did you ever get robbed/ripped off? how safe is backpacking through asia?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never been mugged... I have had things stolen.. and a girl I was travelling wiht in south america had her bag stolen in the Buenos Aires bus station which really sucked (passport, camerca, credit cards, etc). As far as getting scammed: it happens quite often.. paying way to much for something, etc. but.. you get used to it.. your bargaining skills definitley get way better as time goes on and you just get a whole lot more savvy.

Asia is a very large place. But the more touristed areas: South East Asia specifically, are very safe when it comes to your personal safety. I mean, there are places in Indonesia and Cambodia that you shouldn't go, and places in Myanmar that you can't go, but besides that, it's pretty safe for your personal safety... I would say most SE asian cites are much safer than the vast majority of western cities (there might be some exepctions: I spent a week in Jakarta waiting for a boat... definitley seemed pretty dicey)... but, all in all, that part of the world is a pretty safe bet.