View Single Post
Old 04-23-2007, 10:56 AM

Default Re: Pre-Nup: Terrible Idea?

[ QUOTE ]
I honestly think that if you are seriously considering a pre-nup, you should seriously question whether you should be getting married.

I realise that around 50% of marriages will end in divorce. Many of these people probably got married for the wrong reasons (societal pressures, shortsightedness , etc). It's a pretty massive commitment that shouldnt be taken lightly .

[/ QUOTE ]
Um, you're taking marriage seriously if you care enough about your partner to get a prenup. Prenups are not about ME ME ME, it is about clarifying assets and making agreements that are in the best interests of both parties. If one person is insanely rich, then prenups protect the sanctity of the marriage (ie. making sure they are marrying for the right reasons), and eliminating the potentially wacky financial incentives brought on by divorce courts.

Which is more shortsighted: making rudimentary preparations in case of divorce, or ignoring the possibility?

NB. I'm about to get married. My fiancee and I have talked about a prenup, but we probably wont get one. We dont have many assets. We may reconsider, since every financial advisor I have ever met recommends a prenup. I think it's stupid to criticize the benefit of prenups, and it may provide a societal benefit to make them mandatory for all marriages (they are a lot cheaper than divorce proceedings tend to be).