View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 01:39 PM

Default Re: The Myth of Meaning

[ QUOTE ]
the concept that believing I am the love toy of a powerful being and somehow that adds "meaning" to my life is one of the tougher

[/ QUOTE ]
Suppose that you did in fact believe in god. Would it not bring you comfort to know that God loves you? Would it not influence you to be loyal to a God that loves you in somewhat the same manner that you are loyal to your parents? Assuming they love you and you love them back. We humans are social animals and have needs. It can be agrued that "love", however you define it, is one of those needs.

Religion does not say that you are a "love toy" of God just as you are not a "love toy" of your parents. Most just say that God loves you. They do not give a reason other than that you are his child.

Have you never asked yourself "Why am I here"? Religion attempts to answer that question by claiming that there is an almighty creator that made you. Red Skelton, an old time famous comedian used to do skit around Christmas time about a Pine Tree that comes to life and ask the question "What is my purpose?" He finally decides that his purpose was to help people celebrate their god at Chritmas Time when he decorated and placed in the living room of a loving chritian family at christmas. The movie "Becket" with Richard Burton is about a callous man that unknowingly seeks meaning to his life and finds it in God when he is accidently thrust into the position of Archbishop of Cantebury by his friend the King of England. Man seeks meaning to his life. Being loved by an all powerful loving God for "His" own reasons can be a comforting and meanigful thought for some. For some "meaning" is not a myth.

pokervintage