View Single Post
Old 04-05-2007, 05:33 AM

Default Re: 5CD MTT: End game strategy

Thanks for your reply, Tom.

You probably don't know (I play under a different name on Stars than I post here) but the exact "scenario" happened in a MTT in which we spend some time on the same table.
I joined the table as the chipleader of the tournament by a decent amount (you were in the upper 3rd but still far behind).
As the blinds increased I was becoming poorer and poorer, whereas your chipcount stagnated, if not slightly improved. I finished 10th or something and you were still in and doing OK.
That's why your input is highly appreciated and I'm sure it can help improve my play.

As you correctly said many players don't know when to get rid of their hands as soon as the blinds are large. I definitely fall into this category. I have absolutely no problem folding a hand like Kings-Up after-draw or 3 Kings (to a pat hand) while the blinds are still small and not much is committed to the pot. As soon as there are several thousands in each pot that has at least 3 players, it is a lot harder for me to lay down even 2 low pair. I basically "know" I am beat but I don't want to risk giving away ~4000 chips to a missed flush draw or non-improved aces.

I think I am not a decent player in the "survival mode" (yet).