View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 04:13 AM

Default Re: My first post (not really). $11 NLTRN

This horse might be dead, but i'll beat it anyway. After thinking it over, this is what I conclude. J3o. Obviously, we would raise if we think villian folds a lot, so we will assume he calls (and checks) a lot preflop.

There are four categories our opponent could be in. If he is loose-aggressive, we probably want to fold the hand preflop instead of going to war with it. If he is tight-aggressive, maybe we will mess around with a raise with this hand, but we don't want to just call and give him a chance to take the lead when we have such a weak hand. If he is tight-passive, we definitaly want to raise and throw in a c-bet on pretty much any flop.

The only opponent where limping might be good is a loose-passive opponent who will let us see the river cheap and will call our bets with his high card or bottom pair. And in this case we are only gonna bet if we hit our J or 3, hoping he has a high card when we hit a 3, or a lower pair when we hit a jack. This doesn't happen too often, but we may get to showdown for free after getting 3-1 preflop.

So I guess limping is ok against the worst (best) opponents, but this hand should generally be a raise or a fold (I'm not convinced it is so clear on the 56o hand). Hopefully someone who disagrees with the above can explain why.