View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 02:06 AM

Default Re: I will mentor you for free

Hi Jay. I like this idea and I'd be interested in both being mentored by you and in mentoring some students myself. I'd be qualified to mentor limit hold'em players.

Here are my answers to the questions posed in your first few posts:

1. How you are currently improving your game?

Lots of ways. I play 2 or maybe 3 tables at a time at most. Oftentimes I'll just play in one game so I can focus on what mistakes I identify that my opponents are making and how I can best benefit from them. I also take my time and think about each action before making it rather than clicking away lightning fast.
Away from the table I'm always doing a line analyses. I'll make some assumptions about how my opponent will respond with different holdings and hack away at finding the most profitable line by just writing it all out case by case. I also run a lot of simulations on pokerstove and some of the propokertools softwares to get an idea of equity of certains with certain boards.
I always have a poker book sitting in my bathroom [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] My current poker rereading is The Mathematics of Poker.

2. Your poker goals.

I'd like to be an established winner at online 5/10 NL over a sample of 100k hands by the end of March in both short handed and heads up play. I'd also like to be an established winner at up through 200/400 heads up and short handed limit hold'em by the same time.

3. Your current stakes and past earnings

Later you also asked how many hours and what earnings I've made in the last 5 months so I'll answer that here. I estimate I have played 600 hours and profited $40k. Most of that time was spent grinding out a roll at my best game which is short-handed and heads-up limit hold'em. I am interested in making NL my main game for the coming months as it needs much more work. Currently I'm uncomfortable playing against mediocre players at 2/4 NL 6max and am fine with playing most tables I find of 1/2 NL 6max.

4. A few examples of good strategy posts you have made.

I don't post often. Usually when I think to post I first do some work on my own and end up answering my questions without a post. Most of my posts are strategy though as you'll see if you look.

5. A little about yourself.

I'm 27 years old and a few weeks a way from finishing my Ph.D. in mathematics at Georgia Tech. I'd probably be considered a bit of a party animal (or a drunk, idk) by my friends but keep in mind one of the things I like most is sharing what I like with other people.
In January I'm heading to India to experience life in a new culture and I don't know if/when I'll be coming back to the U.S. While abroad I plan on supporting myself by playing online poker and finally spending a good amount of effort in really studying poker in a way that my schooling has prevented me to do yet.
I'm fortunate to have the training to be able to study the game in a deep, mathematical way.
I love women.
I love sports.
I love life.

Feel free to ask me any questions and thanks for your consideration.

-Bill