View Single Post
Old 07-10-2006, 01:02 PM

Default If i have anything to offer this forum, this may be it.

I've been playing poker for a little while now. Everyday is a learning experience that helps me grow a little as a poker player. One idea that was heavily discussed in this forum that has become, in my opinion, even more increasingly important is game selection. Limit Hold 'Em is a game where the money comes from the bad players' poor decision-making. As some of you may have noticed, I know that I certianly have, the games are not getting any softer. As LHE players we need to constantly examine "our edge" because in any type of gambling, your edge is where you make the money. Of course everyday we discuss many topics on how to improve your game. Let me give you a little hint on how to automatically increase your winrate: increase your game selection skills. A good game can make an average player look great, while a bad game can limit a good player's earn by eliminating some of his "edge". This is obvious, but what we must think about is how it affects us within the context of this forum. I propose that game selection at low limits is absolutely crucial because in a tight game your winrate is generally going to suffer. This is true at all limits. In small stakes, though, our winrate in terms of income means less in terms of gross revenue than that of a higher limit player. Which means that in a tight small stakes game, you are lucky to be playing for minimum wage(or less) if the game is not good. That sucks. So what to do? The fish won't find you, so you must find the fish. I know that alot of you are aware of this; this is for the noobs that may not yet understand the importance of what staying in good games can mean to your winrate and bankroll. Good luck everyone. If this is something you have not paid attention to, i suggest you start now. If it is something you are aware of but don't practice, it is going to become increasingly important. Mark my words. If not now, in the near future.