View Single Post
Old 10-16-2007, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Could a reciever stop the clock by throwing the ball OOB?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And as for the OP, I don't see why not, as long as they throw the ball backwards (so it is a lateral).

[/ QUOTE ]
No, I think this was answered just a few posts above yours by Bedreviter. Until he posted that I was sure you could, say in the throes of a defender, chuck the ball backwards out of bounds and stop the clock. It would be a pretty alert play, honestly, but maybe the reason we haven't seen it is because it is in fact against the rules.

The false start the clock away loophole is pretty disturbing. I don't think a coach would ever try it though for fear of the backlash.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone will eventually do it.

Here comes a semi-related tangent:

In Indiana, high school basketball is played without a shot clock. Lots of people here hate zone defense. If you haven't lived here this probably won't make sense to you, but just take my word for it. Old men will sometimes start fights at pickup games if someone tries to play zone.

Every couple years some HS coach will decide that they are going to going stall rather than face a zone defense. They instruct their PG to hold the ball until the other team comes out of the zone defense. The opposing team never does so they just stand there for an entire quarter before taking the last shot. The process is repeated in quarters 2 and 3.

In the 4th quarter, one team finds itself ahead by a score of like 6-2 or something. If the Zone team is on defense and down, they will come out of the zone because they have no choice. If the the anti-zone team is down and has the ball they are forced to try to attack the zone.

Its pretty lame but it happens when ego maniacal coaches put themselves above the game. The false start loophole will eventually be similarly exploited.

[/ QUOTE ]

Happens a lot still. Even vs a man defense a team with a lead might go 4 corners and run 2 or 3 minutes off before attempting a shot. I've seen teams go into that 4 corner stall passing game with 4 minutes left before getting fouled with 1:30 left. Defensive team had to rack up more fouls to get the other team into the bonus and wanted to make sure it still had time to do something afterward.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would imagine this tactic would lead to a lot of HARD fouls.