View Single Post
Old 07-27-2007, 12:52 AM

Default Re: Nuts on turn, no redraw -- jam or smooth call? (3/6 live)

[ QUOTE ]
Proofrock - (a) is the choice.

"Let us go then, you and I,
When the evening is spread out against the sky"

3-bet and hope that Button, who also likely has the Broadway, caps.

Buzz

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the same conclusion I came to after the hand, though I played it more like a patient etherized at the table when I chose option (b). Although it seems a little unnecessary to justify capping the turn with the nuts in a multi-way pot, let me run my reasoning behind 3-betting the turn anyway to make sure it's correct.

The button almost certainly has broadway. BB and UTG+1 don't. If they're drawing they won't put any more money in on the river unless they hit, so I need to get value from them now. If either somehow think their hand is good, I should still get several bets out of them by jamming the turn. Even though I'm splitting the pot with the Button, we're both getting value from BB and UTG+1. Furthermore, since the pot doesn't grow geometrically like it does in pot-limit, I don't need to worry about accidentally isolating a Button who could be free-rolling.

The alternative line of calling the turn, then check-raising the river could be better only if (1) there weren't many plausible draws for BB or UTG+1 to be on (i.e., if they most likely think their hand is good now) and (2) I think they'd fold if the turn gets capped but I will be able to extract at least one extra bet from them by check-raising the river, catching them in the middle.

Since neither of these conditions are met, jamming the turn is better. Is this more or less the right idea?