View Single Post
Old 03-27-2007, 05:46 PM

Default Re: Final table frustrations. Playing small stacks and stealing...

I think that your main problem is how often you get to the final table short.

With 2 and 3 tables to go you should be taking chances to build a stack, which you can use to steal a lot of pots and accumulate chips before the FT starts. The pay difference between 20th and 8th is pretty nominal, but 8th and 1st is astounding. If you can come into the FT with a decent chunk of chips, you'll be amazed how willingly people get out of your way when every raise is a threat to their tournament life, at a time when every place means so much. When you come in short, nobody is afraid of you and you'll be at the mercy of the cards, no matter how well you play. Getting exactly first place is so insanely valuable in an MTT that you need to have your eyes locked in on the 1-spot long before the final 9 are set.

That said, when you do find yourself short, all of your push hands like A2s, JTo, K9o have about the same equity when called. The best thing that you can do is maximize your chance of not getting called: i.e. raise in position. I'm infinitely happier pushing J7o from the CO than A2s from UTG. Unless you pick up a legitimately good hand, stick to stealing with mediumish stuff when in position until you catch a break and have some chips to play with. And if the big stacks are opening too many pots, don't be afraid to get in there with some marginal hands for a chance to double up so you have enough ammo to play back at them.

Everett