View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 09:58 PM

Default Re: Absolutely heated about JC Tran situation at Foxwoods

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't quite understand why this is the rule for tournaments. I mean, I understand the need to prevent collusion, but why can't it be handled the same way as a player who mucked his cards in a cash game when another player requests to see his hand? That is, grab the cards, symbolically touch the muck with them, declaring the hand dead, then turn them over for everyone to see.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the scenario.

Colluder 1: "I'm all-in."
Colluder 2: "I call."
Colluder 1: "I have junk. I fold."

The dealer does the killing of Colluder 1's hand and Colluder 2 still gets all the chips. You've failed to prevent the colludres from achieving their chip-dumping goal.

If you also show Colluder 2's hand, he still gets the chips despite possibly showing a junk hand.

If you force them to play out the hand, the two colluders don't know where the chips are going. Presumably, they want control over that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand the theory behind the justification, but it still doesn't make that much sense to me. The main way that the rule discourages chipdumping/collusion is the showing of the hand, which should be enough to detect and deter all of the most sketchy cases, like the one you created. I don't see how forcing people to run it out when one person mucked his cards with a very small amount of EV really provides much of a meaningful deterrent. I imagine there are easier ways to chip-dump if you so desire.